Morehead City, NC Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Fight for Just Compensation
Though some injuries from bicycle crashes are unavoidable, things can get quickly serious if you as a bicyclist are injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle. Each year in North Carolina, approximately 1,000 bicyclists are involved in police-reported crashes with motor vehicles, and on average, around 20 individuals are killed and an additional 60 are seriously injured. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident involving other vehicles, chances are you’re suffering from serious injuries and have racked up thousands of dollars in medical expenses and property damage. Davis, Murrelle & Lyles, P.A. have more than five decades of experience helping injured individuals and their families recover. If a driver or some other party was negligent and that negligence caused your accident, you may be able to pursue financial compensation. Our bicycle accident attorneys in Morehead City, NC can investigate your accident when you call.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists have the same rights and privileges as motor vehicle drivers, though many drivers fail to recognize these rights and treat bicyclists sharing the road with the respect and safety they deserve. Many cars are known to tailgate slower bicyclists on the road or pass right by them without giving them room for safety. Though bicycle accidents can be caused by other bicyclists or pedestrians, the reality is that many accidents are caused by negligent drivers.
Common causes of accidents involving bicyclists on the road include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a leading cause of all kinds of vehicle collisions, including those involving bicycles. Distracted drivers on their phones may be less likely to spot a bicyclist on the side of the road or crossing the street.
- Speeding: Going above the speed limit slows driver reaction times, and an impact can result in more serious injuries due to the amount of force. Speeding can also cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles or hydroplane if they’re driving on wet or slippery surfaces.
- Unsafe lane changes: Drivers can cause bicycle accidents if they fail to signal or check to make sure bicycle lanes are clear before moving into them to make right turns. Cars can easily strike a bicyclist in the lane or even cut them off by moving into their path.
- Failure to yield: There are numerous locations on the road where vehicle drivers are obligated to yield to oncoming traffic, which can include bicycle traffic. One specific instance is if cars fail to wait for bicyclists to safely cross the road before they turn left on a green light – this is a form of reckless driving.
- Impaired driving: Drivers who are drunk or on drugs place themselves and everyone around them in danger, including bicyclists on the road. Alcohol and drugs reduce driver ability to make safe decisions and respond to obstacles or sudden movements quickly, which can cause accidents.
What to Do After an Accident
After a bicycle accident, it’s of the utmost importance that you seek medical attention. If your injuries are minor or you’re waiting for an ambulance to arrive to the accident scene, you can also begin documenting your accident, from taking photos of your injuries and any property damage to gathering the contact information of any witnesses who observed the accident.
After you’ve been treated, hold onto your medical bills and records and contact a personal injury lawyer immediately. The sooner you begin your case, the sooner a lawyer can investigate your accident and determine liability.
Call our bicycle accident attorneys if you’ve been injured in Morehead City at (252) 512-5909. We have the manpower and resources needed to secure your desired results.
Our law firm has recovered millions for those who have been injured and racked up debts as a result. If you’ve been injured by a careless or negligent driver, you shouldn’t have to pay out-of-pocket and go into debt trying to pay your own medical bills. By determining liability, we can hold negligent parties accountable so they must pay the compensation you’re entitled to.
Through our advocacy, we can file your injury claim and recover the following damages:
- Medical bills, including costs of ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, and more
- Lost wages or earning capacity from missing work
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Bicyclists tend to have more lasting injuries as a result of lacking outer protection and as a result, need to pay more in medical expenses. With our team on your side, you can rest assured knowing we can take the time to calculate how much your case is worth and then pursue it relentlessly.
I am so grateful for your passion, dedication, and professionalism.” - Roger Y.
Millions Recovered For Our Clients
Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers firm
Track Record Of Success
Personalized Attention & Care
50 + Years of Collective Experience