Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Morehead City, NC
Over Five Decades of Combined Experience
All motor vehicle accidents can result in serious injuries to drivers and passengers alike, depending on the nature of the accident, but motorcyclists are especially susceptible to severe injuries. Motorcyclists lack seat belts and the outer protection that car drivers and passengers have, and being struck by a heavy vehicle can send them flying off their bikes easily.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NTHSA), motorcyclists are 27 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may not only be physically suffering from your injuries, but you also may be thousands of dollars in debt as a result of mounting medical bills, property damage, and more.
Our Morehead City, NC motorcycle accident attorneys are available to secure the compensation you need to pay for these damages and more. Davis, Murrelle & Lyles, P.A. has decades of experience holding negligent drivers liable and have recovered millions for our deserving clients.
Motorcycle Laws in North Carolina
Each state has its own motorcycle laws that are designed to increase safety on the roads for all, but especially to protect motorcyclists. However, it’s important to know that even if motorcycle riders follow laws and practice safe riding, dangerous driving from other car drivers can still cause accidents.
Some common motorcycle safety laws North Carolina has include:
- Helmet laws: If you operate or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle or a moped, you must wear a helmet with the chin strap secured. Though it’s not required, it’s highly recommended that motorcyclists also wear thick gloves, sturdy boots, and goggles or face shields while riding.
- Safety equipment laws: Motorcycles must meet basic requirements before they can be used on North Carolina streets, such as having license plates that are visible from 50 feet away at night, having a horn that can be heard from 200 feet away, and having rear brake lights that can be seen from at least 100 feet away.
- Operation laws: Despite what some drivers may think, motorcycles are entitled to full use of car lanes in North Carolina. While they’re not allowed to split lanes with other motor vehicles, two motorcycles are permitted to ride side-by-side. Motorcycles can also go through red lights as long as they first come to a complete stop, wait at least three minutes, and make sure no pedestrians are crossing at the intersection.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Though outside factors can contribute to accidents on the road, the reality is that most motorcycle accidents are caused by human negligence and can easily be avoided if individuals remained focused on the road and practiced safe driving.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents our team has seen include:
- Unsafe lane changes
- Left-turn accidents
- Drunk driving
- Car doors
- Lane splitting
- Dangerous road conditions
- Motorcycle defects
- Inexperienced drivers
- Sudden stops
Motorcyclists often experience catastrophic injuries, or long-lasting and sometimes permanent injuries, after accidents.
Examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Spinal cord Injuries
- Neck injuries
- Head and brain trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
Though often motor vehicle drivers are found responsible for accidents, other parties can be liable, too. Motorcycle manufacturers can be responsible for damages if a faulty part contributed to the accident, like broken brakes. Similarly, local governments can be guilty if their failure to repair damaged or loose roads is what caused the motorcycle accident.
How Our Personal Injury Firm Can Help
Trust a team with more than five decades of collective experience. Call our compassionate motorcycle accident attorneys in Morehead City, NC today. Our team puts the best interests and legal goals of our clients first and can secure your desired outcome. Spanish-speaking services are available for your convenience.
Through our advocacy, our legal team has been able to recover millions of dollars in damages for our injured clients, including victims of motorcycle accidents. We can recover medical bills, lost wages and earning capacity, pain and suffering, and property damage, including damage done to your motorcycle.
It’s important to call us soon after your accident. Not only can we help you pay for your expenses and return to a normal way of life, but by holding negligent drivers financially responsible for their actions, we can also help prevent them from injuring others they way they’ve injured you.
“Ed Murrelle and his legal team are excellent. They resolved my personal injury claim after a serious automobile accident. The other driver, who was found at fault, was not injured, but my arm was broken by the explosive force of my air bag inflating. After”- Steve G.
Millions Recovered For Our Clients
Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers firm
Track Record Of Success
Personalized Attention & Care
50 + Years of Collective Experience